Latest Eruption: 6March2011
- Located in Hawaii, adjacent to Mauna Lao Volcano.
- In the hotspot.
- World;s most active volcano, and has erupted 34 time since 1952.
- Kilauea is a shield volcano that rises 4,901 feet above sea level. Shield volcanoes have a gradual slope to the top where the lava spews forth and spreads outwards.
- Ground tilt has been measured daily for 27 years in the Hawaiian Volcano Obeservatory,Hawaii National Park
- Identify the eruption patterns
- Seismometers used to pinpoint earthquakes which track the rise of magma and its movement along fissures
- Satellite Data
- United States Geological Survey has been helping alongside Hawaiian Volcano Obervatory
- Living far away from the volcanoe(especially since it is very active)
- Avoid developing downhill from rift zones
- Devise a way to direct lava around the city
- Warning systems are in effect and are widely publicized as it is essential to give nearby people as much time as possible to evacuate
- Good escape route
- Design structures for the effect of the ash
- Building's air-handling unit to be able to shut off the units and cover all vents so ash does not get in
- American Medical Response sites to provide aid
- Hazard Evaluation and emergency response office